Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The NHL.

The NHL has changed, no doubt about it. The ref's have become ultimately responsible for the outcome of more and more games, every hit and punch is subject to league review, and instead of players policing the game it is now up to the league to protect the players.

While I certainly miss elements of the old game. I have come to terms that this is the NHL now and if I am to be a fan I must watch with a certain understanding that things just aren't the same anymore.

With all that in mind, there have only been a couple times this season that I have actually been dissapointed with the result of league/on ice decisions.
-The Jones hit. (A standard was seemingly set by the league about hits from behind, that has not been carried out since.)
-The Boulerice suspension. (I get the new standards, and understand that a suspension was in order, but 25 games? That puts his check on Kesler up there with the worst punished hits in the history of the league.)


I can deal with most of the other stuff that has been happening. Even the Downie suspension. The biggest glaring problem I am seeing now are the fans! Read some comments on articles regarding the Flyers hits, or suspensions. I have seen people wanting, Downie, Boulerice, Hartnell, and Jones banned from the league. The Flyers fined, or penalized. Stevens suspended. It is sickening. The days of the I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out fans are all but gone. The only two teams I can see keeping the spirit of hockey alive are the Anaheim Ducks, and our Philadelphia Flyers.

That could not make me any happier.

No comments: